Saturday, January 5, 2013

Clay - representational

Working with clay again in class was fun, just as it was the first time. I did enjoy the move into representational sculpture and chose to work on the prompt of two animals showing affection. I decided to sculpt two cats snuggling as I have seen my husband’s parents’ two cats in such a position many a time.

It was more fun for me to sculpt something representational because I wasn’t as focused on getting the clay to look just right as I was on getting the shape of the thing I was sculpting to look just right. So even if there was an extra crease or fingerprint in the clay’s texture, I didn’t mind as much because that wasn’t my focus.

I like the idea of having the type of prompts we have had in class for kids in a classroom. I think they are specific enough yet still open-ended enough to allow for creativity but without too much ambiguity so students aren’t stressing over the fact that they don’t know what to do. I think it’s very helpful to provide some guidance but without overstepping into controlling what kids are allowed to make.

And as with anything, I realize that it’s so important in art to understand where your students are at stage-wise so as to create activities and projects for them to meet them where they are, not to push them too far into the next stage of their artistic development.

No comments:

Post a Comment